Construction of new Research & Development (R&D) facility, located inside the Tec Labs Innovation Centre, the incubator of the Faculty of Sciences of University of Lisbon, Portugal, by EXMceuticals Portugal is complete and the new R&D facility is operational. This new R&D facility will enable research into CBD, Full Spectrum Hemp Oil and Terpene formulations for the nutraceutical, cosmetics and wellness industries. In the medium term, the R&D activities will also target pharmaceutical-grade formulations.
EXMceuticals Portugal has commenced a new research project under the Portugal 2020 program, which is being executed in the new R&D facility.
EXMceuticals Portugal is in the process of obtaining, from INFARMED, the Portuguese National Authority of Medicines and Health Products, research and development authorizations allowing EXM to import cannabis-based ingredients. This will also permit EXM to refine, manufacture and export cannabis-based medicinal products from the pilot-scale refining facility built as part of the new R&D lab. The pilot-scale refinery and manufacturing activities are included in the submitted Portugal 2020 R&D project.
Initial R&D activities regarding CBD extraction, purification and associated analytical procedures have been ongoing for several months, in collaboration with local universities, and have already identified several innovative methods of streamlining and improving the various processes.
EXM has obtained in June 2019, through its local subsidiary Prime Ranchers Limited, formal full authorisations and permits for its operations in Uganda.
Therefore, EXM will be able to cultivate cannabis on a largescale, extract pharmaceutical, therapeutical and nutraceutical grade cannabinoid ingredients and export the produced ingredients, including CBD.
License also allows importation of high-quality cannabis seeds developed in Europe in order to provide the seed-stock for the cultivation operations.
2,000 hectares (4,940 acres) of agricultural land is available.
- Parcels of which will be put into production sequentially.
- Initial planting will consist of 100 hectares (247 acres) and the first plant harvest will occur within 4 months.
- 2,000 sq.m. (21,500 sq. ft.) of lab, extraction and material handling facilities are available.
Extraction facilities have already been built, commissioned and inspected by relevant Ugandan regulatory authorities.
All the relevant utilities such as power generation, water and waste management, which are required by the Project, are fully budgeted, funded and planned by the company.
EXM is committed to having a tangibly positive local impact and close relationships are being built with the Ugandan agriculture education institutions. The Company fully intends to foster local expertise as well as to help create technical jobs locally.
EXM has acquired in May 2019 MM Ltd, an agro-processing business in the Republic of Malawi.
MM Ltd has :
- 280ha (682 acres) of fully drip-irrigated farms
- A state of the art 4ha (10 acres) greenhouse nursery capable of growing up to 700,000 plants; it is drip irrigated, enclosed and secured to protect plants from natural elements
- A 10,000 m2 (107,640 ft2) processing facility and a green field site with access to ~1700ha (4,200 acres) of land
- A long-term lease of an additional ~1700ha (4,200 acres) of land for further farming expansion, 450ha (1,112 acres) of which has been certified as organic
All farms are located nearby of on the shores of Lake Malawi, a large freshwater resource from which excellent quality irrigation water is available all year round.
The factory is approximately 25km (15.5 miles) from the farms
- It has passed audits and technical approval to supply a number of global and regional clients
- Approximately 2,000 m2 (21,528 ft2) of the factory is warehouse space and there is significant room for expansion of cannabis ingredients production and CO2 extraction capabilities
- There is an office block, medical facilities and canteen on the factory site
Weather in Salima is exceptional for cannabis cultivation. Climate is tropical with rainfall being less in winter than in summer. The average annual rainfall varies between 800 and 1,200mm per annum, with the wettest months being December to March. The temperatures range between a minimum average of 20°C and a maximum average of 35°C, with low humidity of around 60%.
MM Ltd provides an excellent platform for EXM to further expand its cannabis extracted ingredients production strategy, with the possibility to access to an additional ~120ha (296 acres) of irrigated land.
Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
EXMceuticals, through a subsidiary, holds a license in the Kuba Kingdom, Democratic Republic of Congo, for the cultivation of cannabis and hemp, and processing and export of high-grade pharmaceutical cannabinoid ingredients. For its Kuba plantation, EXM has 10,000 acres of organic farmland and expansion rights representing in excess of 100,000 continuous acres.
EXM currently has 10,000 cannabis plants growing on its Kuba plantation. Harvested products are, at this stage, dried and stored for subsequent extraction of target ingredients.
EXMceuticals has a contract with GFR Pharma Inc in Vancouver’s suburb of Coquitlam. GFR Pharma and EXM has established a joint venture company. GFR Pharma is a pre-eminent full-service contract manufacturer, packager and formulation expert of superior quality tablet, capsule, powder, and liquid natural health products for the Canada and the U.S.